Thursday, February 19, 2009


That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! Don't get me wrong, though, it was VERY sad! Thank you to all of you who said a prayer, sent a note or an email, or FLOWERS, or LEFT DINNER IN MY FRIDGE, or brought over cupcakes when we got home!!! It really helped. I think it helps, too, that his school is right by my office. So when I dropped him off, I thought, "okay, precious, big-eyed, chubby cheeks, sweet boy - I'll be back in a few hours to check on you!"

So I called mid morning to make sure he was happy - he was. Then I went by at lunch to see him and he was napping - sweetly. He woke up while I was there, but I didn't let him know I was in the room. I'm guessing they probably wanted him to doze back off since he'd only been out for 15 minutes or so.

When I picked him up this afternoon he had a positive report card. He ate a lot, which they say is normal because babies eat for comfort. And he napped well. Ms. Cathy said he enjoyed checking out all his new classmates.

Work was okay, too. It was really weird to step back in to the routine - that was so routine - after not doing it for 13 weeks. There are reports I didn't pull and lists I didn't start checking, though, because I know it would've stressed me out to realize how much there is to catch up on. My job was left in very capable hands, so it isn't a matter of things not getting done. It's just that picking up where someone left off on 20 or so tasks and projects isn't going to be easy. I'm just taking it one step at at time.

One of my biggest fears was that there were going to be so many changes while I was out that I'd feel out of the loop, but it turns out that not much changed in 13 weeks. Not much at all. . .


1 comment:

The Runyons said...

I'm so glad that your return is going okay so far. It gets a little easier every day ...
The best part of your day will be running in at 5 and having him smile really big when he sees you. I wait for that every day!!! Take care & much love to Team Thomas! :)